Monday 24 March 2014

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?





Preliminary Task
The aim of our preliminary task was to create a sequence which included a character opening a door, walking across a room, sitting down in a chair  opposite another character, and exchanging a few lines of dialogue. The sequence had to follow all of the rules of continuity.

Our preliminary task is similar to our film opening sequence in the sense that we had to consider all aspects involved in pre-production, the shoot itself and in post-production. We also had to consider the style and narrative when creating both our preliminary task and our film opening sequence.

Film Opening Sequence
The aim of our final opening sequence was to create an opening to a new fiction film which could last up to 2 minutes and included titles.  




Essential skills which we learnt from our preliminary task and applied to our film opening
  • Match-on-action

Preliminary match-on-action


Film opening match-on-action

  • 180 degree rule
  • 30 degree rule

  • Shot-reverse-shot
Preliminary task:




Film opening:





As a whole, our preliminary task resulted in less errors during the pre-production, production, and post-production of our film opening. The development from preliminary task to our final film opening has helped me develop as a film maker. Before the preliminary task I felt extremely under confident when faced with the challenges involved in post production. However, after having completed both tasks, I feel extremely confident in my skills in post-production. My ability in post production and production have also improved significantly. I have learnt the importance of working in a team and how to work well in a team. Before I completed these two projects I preferred to work independently as I like to feel in complete control during an important project like this. However, I have found that having several different minds working together is extremely useful as everyone has different ideas and thinks in different ways which results in a better quality, more interesting final product. Working well in a team in a very useful skill to have and I feel that, through the preliminary task and the film opening I have learnt how to work with people and I feel that if I had the choice now of working alone or in a team, I would choose to work in a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment